Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Fish Story


"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith- and this is not from yourselves,-it is the gift of God- not by works, so no one can boast" Ephesians 2:8

ALIVE IN CHRIST
I mentioned in an earlier post about getting a fish tank. I've been taking good care of them by feeding them everday, changing the filter, & adding conditioned water to the tank on occasion. What I wasn't expecting was green algae growing on the sea shells I have in the tank for decoration. Something needed to be done before the algae got out of hand.
I went down to the pet store to inquire what I could do. Two interesting things the young man who worked in the fish department told me. First he asked me if I was consistant in turning the light out. He told me in scientific terms that by leaving the light on for longs hours only increased the algae growth. Secondly, he asked me if I had an algae eater. I have become consistant with turning the light out at night and I bought an algae eater. I gave the little fish a name and I call him "shrimpy" because he is the smallest fish in the tank.

No matter what I do, the Lord seems to let me know he is there. Even cleaning a fish tank and caring for fish. I focused in at looking at all the algae growing in the fish tank and I got a visual of what sin does to us. It keeps multiplying & clings to us and makes us dirty. But as I looked more intently I realized my focus was on me. That 's what sin is: a focus on me. And even further still,I realized If I kept it there I'd never be able to really know him & there would be distance in our relationship.

That brings me back to the fish tank. I put the algae eater in the tank and it wasn't long before he started eating up the algae, loving it as he did. When we let Jesus in to clean us up, loving us as he does, it changes our whole environment. It doesn't come automatic and yet he still loves us dirty or clean. It's not about what we do, or the work we do for him, but it's about knowing him as the apostle Paul wrote in Phillipians 3:10....We see Jesus in everyday tasks....He is in every thing we do...we are made alive in Christ....& everthing becomes about him. He gives us the gifts of grace & faith. So I will boast for what he does everyday for me to know him better. I will boast on the gift of grace and each day come to a better understanding of who he is.

No comments:

SHARE IN OUR JOURNEY

My photo
We are missionaries with The Brook Ministries in Costa Rica. We are here to help strengthen the church body of Jesus Christ & to fulfill His Great commission to the lost. At our conferences, my husband directs the recreational activities & excursions. I provide physical renewal with massage for the female attendees. We believe that regularly scheduled renewal of the body, mind, & spirit for ministry leaders in particular, will empower them to serve the Lord with renewed strength & perseverance to do what God has uniquely called them to do....SERVE & BUILD HIS CHURCH to the outermost parts of the world!