Thursday, June 21, 2007

New Friends


I had lunch with 2 new friends today. They are both about 10 years older than me. They both have children about 10 years older than mine. We shared some laughs and then talked about serious stuff like aging parents, our personal experience with one of each of our parents death and the grieving process. One subject I'm hoping doesn't occur and that is when my children get old enough and totally on their own with families of their own and when it's time for a visit, they are way too busy and it becomes more like an obligation than just purely wanting to spend time with their parents. I got to thinking about myself with my own parents. Regardless if my parents had time for me growing up, have I grown complacent? My Dad got married last year and is very happy and I'm truly happy for him. Since he's been married, I have only seen him a handful of times because he is busy with his wife and her family alot. The rest of my brothers and sisters are pretty annoyed about it. He's just returned to the man he use to be.
I think the Lord is telling me, it's up to me if I want a relationship with my Dad. I've accepted the fact that my Dad & I didn't have any real communication or relationship while I was growing up and I have healed those wounds and discussed them with him. It's not like he has ever called me before just to see how I'm doing. After my mom died and the 5 years that followed we got closer as my Dad became more open to sharing himself and in turn I became more able to share myself with him. We had some great conversations about both our childhoods and I shared the gospel with him and sharing specifically about being saved by faith alone and not by works.
I know what I need to do and I see the value in having these two new friends. So many times we say to one another "Hey, let's have lunch sometime and get together" and then time passes and it never happens. These two new friends want what I want too and I also want that with my Dad.
Friends are God's way of speaking to us with His Love

No comments:

SHARE IN OUR JOURNEY

My photo
We are missionaries with The Brook Ministries in Costa Rica. We are here to help strengthen the church body of Jesus Christ & to fulfill His Great commission to the lost. At our conferences, my husband directs the recreational activities & excursions. I provide physical renewal with massage for the female attendees. We believe that regularly scheduled renewal of the body, mind, & spirit for ministry leaders in particular, will empower them to serve the Lord with renewed strength & perseverance to do what God has uniquely called them to do....SERVE & BUILD HIS CHURCH to the outermost parts of the world!