Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Birdcage & The Funeral




What a great evening we had at "The Little Theatre Group of Costa Rica" We saw the movie made into a play called "The Birdcage" The actor Robin Williams had starred in it years ago. My husband and I had thought we had heard of it before but we weren't absolutely sure. When the lights went on for the first scene, four men dressed as woman came out dancing! I was stunned and my husband started laughing and then I started laughing too. I mean, it was suppose to be funny, wasn't it? I just didn't hear anybody else laughing. The acting was really good and I kinda wondered if some of them were really acting! But, it was very entertaining nonetheless! I ended up with a migraine by the time we got home and woke up this morning with it.
This morning our neighbor Bicky yelled out to my husband whom she could see from the open window that her huband had died in the night. There were 2 police cars at her house and now we knew why. There have been cars coming and going all day. I never met her husband Horace but my husband had when he brought a pie to their house that we had bought them up at the market. I was cooking dinner when my husband went over to their home. They invited him in and he stayed a bit and got to know them. I met Bicky as we were walking past her gate and my husband & I both knew she was a special lady and we instantly felt a special love for her. Bicky told us that her husband had a bad heart and that the doctors had said that they could do nothing for him. We got a phone call just a while ago to come to her house because they were fixin to have the funeral. Wow, that was quick. They don't waste anytime here in Costa Rica. The open casket was right in the center of the room and there was Bicky over it. Some of the people from our Tuesday night bible study were there as well as our pastor and other family and friends. We all got in a large cirlce and some prayed in English and some in spanish and sang some hymns in spanish and some in English. It was beautiful and from the prayers of those that loved him, he was a good man and a man of God. He is at peace now and with the Lord. He sees him now face to face. Even now as I write this, I hear the cars still coming and going at Bicky's house. Praise God for all His blessings and for life eternal!

1 comment:

Darla Reed Joseph said...

Kel,

As I read this I was in my mind 3 rows back, hearing Steve burst out in laughter. At the same time, you quickly look over at him as though silently asking, "Is this for real?" and then I see you cover your mouth trying to keep from laughing, your shoulders shaking giving you away as your face turns to red and your eyes watering from tears of laughter! The best part? No one else was laughing! Crazy Americans!

I'm glad you and Steve were there for Bicky. I believe that believers of Christ should adopt that same style of funeral - get it over and done. BUT then have a HUGE festival of celebration and joy that the deceased is in heaven with Jesus while the rest of us wait our turn!

I miss you terribly but then I'm glad you are there...I LOVE reading your blogs. And if you were here I wouldn't really have much fun reading the joys you are experiencing as you and Steve are sharing Costa Rica through pics and words!

Things are good here - actually things are great! I have so much to tell but not enough space...love to you both!

SHARE IN OUR JOURNEY

My photo
We are missionaries with The Brook Ministries in Costa Rica. We are here to help strengthen the church body of Jesus Christ & to fulfill His Great commission to the lost. At our conferences, my husband directs the recreational activities & excursions. I provide physical renewal with massage for the female attendees. We believe that regularly scheduled renewal of the body, mind, & spirit for ministry leaders in particular, will empower them to serve the Lord with renewed strength & perseverance to do what God has uniquely called them to do....SERVE & BUILD HIS CHURCH to the outermost parts of the world!