Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mi Casa es su Casa




I'm getting to know a few more of my neighbors. I discovered that who we have been calling Emil, is actually Badgro. He comes over everyday now and I had to set him straight not to come over too early and to knock on the door first! Yesterday his mother Carmen came over and she wanted to look around my house and she was talking up a storm. She just keeps talking as if I understand her. I could make out a word or two, but not really grasped what she was saying. I realized soon enough that she was asking if she could have a pan to make tortillas and a couple of bath towels. She quickly handed the items to Badgro to bring promptly home. Badgro and I read maps, & worked math problems on the calculator and sang some childrens songs that each of us were familiar with. I'd start the song in English and he would finish it in spanish. After we shared a cup of coffee, I asked Carmen if I could see her house. Starting on the right side of the barn was a small bathroom with a stand up shower, then 2 horse stalls side by side. Next, was a tack room and then last, but LEAST was their home. It was just a bit bigger than MY CLOSET. I was realizing their living conditions as I was looking around when Carmen insisted that she give me 2 plastic pink plates. I told her she needed them. She was not going to take "No" for an answer. I felt my heart sink and tears welled up in my eyes and I tried hard to hold them back. Little Badgro had no bed to sleep in.
Shortly after I got back home, little Rachel came over. I made a deal with her that I would pay her to clean my bathrooms. In this way, she could earn the money and save it to buy the bicylce she wants. I emptied out a bucket of dried beans I had on the refrigerator and she wrote "bicicleta" with permanent black marker on the front. When her mama Caroline came over to see her progress, she told me a bit about what has been going on in her life. We printed 5 flyers for her to post around town for childcare in her home. She was so grateful and asked me to pray for her.
I don't want to be known as the rich lady in the big house, because I'm not. I would rather the lady who has a heart like Jesus. That's what He wants....He wants them to know Him..... through me....I'm no better....I have very much to learn ...I want a heart like Jesus.

No comments:

SHARE IN OUR JOURNEY

My photo
We are missionaries with The Brook Ministries in Costa Rica. We are here to help strengthen the church body of Jesus Christ & to fulfill His Great commission to the lost. At our conferences, my husband directs the recreational activities & excursions. I provide physical renewal with massage for the female attendees. We believe that regularly scheduled renewal of the body, mind, & spirit for ministry leaders in particular, will empower them to serve the Lord with renewed strength & perseverance to do what God has uniquely called them to do....SERVE & BUILD HIS CHURCH to the outermost parts of the world!